Thursday, July 15, 2010

It's been a long time, and other SDI related stuff.

And how have I stuffed up with my organization. Wow... Well, the Elite project has stalled due to Copywrite issues (I can't exactly get a high grade in my SDI - Student Directed Inquiry project with something that has been made out of other material) so I had to go on off another tangent, and work on a different project altogether.

The projects that are related to real-time media (Aka: Games that I make) will be made in Game Maker (With the help of a few members off the Game Maker Community - a forum for Game Maker users) by only using scripts - not using the default/easy game making by using pre-made code blocks (I prefer to script as it is much more in-depth)

I will be working on the Halo project, however, it has the lowest priority as I already have multiple projects going, and it will not partake in my SDI scoring/achievements;
Machinima for Computing
Medium/Long novel for English
And two multimedia projects that are class interchangeable - the first of which is an RPG centered around a story that I have written up, and a simple (Yet ever evolving) tank game that currently has two working tanks (Both are controllable by player one, and player two) and three types of weapons;
Default (Slow rate of fire)
Quickshot (High rate of fire, faster projectiles)
And Electroshock (Beam based weapon, extremely powerful)

All projectiles in the tank game will bounce, to provide players with trickshot oppertunities. I have already developed a procedural terrain generating engine (Needs some bug fixing as terrain will sometimes build themselves around a player, thus trapping them) and a Work In Progress powerup/powerdown bonus that players can acquire by driving their tank over a box/pickup, which can be used against the other player as a weapon (Such as being able to pick up more powerful weapons).

Each projectile is unique in how much damage it adds to player tanks, and are now currently balanced with each other (To make gameplay as seamless as possible) and the tanks already have a death animation/dead state when their' health goes to zero (Thus removes the loser from play).

I have posted a picture 11 days ago (From this post) showing the first version of what the tank game is:
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4106276

And I have proceeded to what is currently now known as (Unofficially, as for lack of a better name) "Battler Tanks" (The menu is still WIP, as are the rest of the features).
Currently all of the coding is completely by me, except for a few utility scripts here and there (One such would be collisions against walls). Effect sprites are also found from various sources such as Pixeljoint.com, Google, and other sprite resources (All shall be correctly credited in the info/credits/help page of the game)

The tank images are done completely by Niklas Jansson, 2007, (And then slightly edited to fit the theme of the game) of which can be found on his personal (But it looks dead/no longer updated) website for a Total Annihilation redesign: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/ta/ta.htm
Niklas's projects/mainpage can be found here: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/

I will be contacting him shortly, asking for permission to see if I can use his work completely. Until I get the a-ok, I will not be posting the playable game demo.
If he says no, then I shall work on my own graphics for it.

PLEASE NOTE: I am now using a new email address: tainted.fortune@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment